No Vacancy
We have been counting the days until summer all winter. Little did we know the beginning of summer would also be the beginning of crazy town!
Yes, Kate did go on her first motorcycle ride much to my horror, so I tried to think of something the kids would enjoy just as much but with a little less risk.
With father's day on the horizon, I decided to capitalize on the REI sale and get us all bikes. It really has been so much fun. Much to my surprise, Kate actually prefers the bike and refuses to go on the motorcycle anymore. What a smart girl- way to use that extra X chromosome!
We've been trying to teach Sean to ride a bike (or even a trike) for years, but the spoiled little stinker won't do it if he actually has to work for it. Too many battery powered toys! At least he has gotten the hang of pedaling since Dada is doing most of the work for him.
So what do you get when you buy a house with a full apartment in the basement? You got it- house guests galore. It can be a lot of fun, especially for the kids, but I won't lie, it is exhausting!
Ding!! Round one. Gird your loins, your about to more than double your occupancy.
Darren and Cindy and their 3 boys moved in for about 3 weeks while they were in between homes. This photo pretty much sums it up. Every time I turned around I saw this smiling kid full of energy! (Photo by Sean)

We pretty much lived outside for the entire month with these kiddos. They know how to have a good time, and have taught my kids that their life was pretty boring before they showed up.


You can even see the mischievous little boy in Kate coming out. I've never seen my kids so wound up and ready to go. (photo again by Sean)
Since everyone knew we had half the Barnhisel family under one roof, we had constant Barnhisel stragglers showing up looking for some fun. Here is Amy, Brian, and all the brothers taking their hogs out for a spin.
In the middle of the chaos, we had Sean's last day of preschool. Kate wants to go so bad and fits right in with the rest of the kids. She was so upset when she didn't get to do the art project for Father's day with them. I wish they were a little closer in age so she didn't have to wait an entire 3 years to do what big brother is doing.
(Kate copies Sean at everything. They are watching Alice in Wonderland and the foot of Seaners bed.)

DING! Round one over, catch your breath quick 'cause here comes round two and it's going to hurt a little!!
So poor Michelle hasn't been on a real vacation ever, sniff, sniff, and thought it would be a great idea to drop the kids and the dogs off at my house for 8 days while she went to Hawaii with David. I actually volunteered to be the super aunt and was really looking forward to spending some quality time with my darling nieces that I don't get to see very often. (I'm not sure if I volunteered for the dogs, but I mean really, how much trouble could they be right?)
Things started off great! I had a whole 2 days after Cindy's family left to clean the house, catch up on everything like work, laundry, bills, shop for a week, and think up stuff to do to keep them entertained. We kicked the summer vacation off with a dip in the hot tub. All smiles so far.
Day two when off without a hitch (other than the giant pile of doggie barf and pee I found in the basement). We did art projects, played with Grandma Curley and went to lunch. I'm thinking to myself, I could be super mom and actually take care of four kids.Day three, went to Wheeler Farm, fed the ducks, everyone minded me, no one fell in the river or was kicked by a farm animal, even scored a darling picture of the 4 little monkeys. We even went to Randy's office for a prize. So far we're still happy campers. (Although I'm getting a little tired of waking up at 5:50 with the dogs, which is usually when I get my best sleep.)
Day 4, what could be better than some slippin' and slidin' along with jumping on the trampoline with the most awesome robes from costco?Got 4 kids ready for church, where the freak is my medal for that? You'd think I'd at least be blessed with a Sunday nap or something right? Nope, got home and noticed Hattie outside in the 90 degree heat with her robe on shivering. That can't be good. Yep, 103 fever. Awesome.
Well, Monday was the day the kids had all been waiting for- the ZOO!! So what is a girl to do? Do I take a sick kid to the zoo or ruin the trip and stay home? We decided to get up early (like I wasn't already doing that) and get the kids ready for the zoo, but take Hattie to the Dr. first. Turns out instacares don't open until 9 which was when my mom had to be at work and I wanted to be at the zoo so it wouldn't be so hot.
Plan B - take kids to the zoo first, push Hattie in a stroller, then go to instacare after lunch. Well, after I chased 4 kids around the gift shop, saw the entire zoo (Grace doesn't let you skip a thing), witnessed the most horrific melt down by Sean because he couldn't decide what animal to ride on the carousel, I pushed Hattie in stroller up the hill while dragging Sean screaming behind me. I felt like I ran a marathon by the time I got all 4 of them in the car. Now I just had to get everyone lunch, get Kate down for a nap, and get Hattie to the Dr.
After an hour waiting at instacare we were informed that the poor thing has hand-foot-and-mouth disease. Seriously? I must be being punished for something I did in a past life. Well needless to say, I was freaking tired by the time bed time came. I mean beyond exhausted. My mom tried to wake me up to lock the door behind her after she got Hattie and Grace to sleep, and she said she was shaking me and I didn't budge. I'm the world's lightest sleeper, so I think I was near death. I was so tired I felt my legs floating above my body. I had to call Randy and tell him to go lock the door. At about 2 am my alarm went off to go check Hattie's fever. That kid should come with a "warning-do not wake up" tattoo. If looks could kill, I'd be dead (although that might have been a nice break to be dead for a few days).
(poor girl, such a trooper)

(Thanks to Sean, the party is OVER!)
(On a positive note, Grace has never been happier!)

Well, thank heaven for Grandma Barbara because I would not have made it through another day. She brushed Hattie's illness aside and still took the girls for the day. Only 3 more days to go. Will I make it? It's anyone's call now. We did get a moment to pick the first carrots from our garden to thin them out a little. They are delish!
By Wednesday, Hattie was feeling better and we opted for another day with hoses and nakedness. This picture is great because the only one with the shirt on is the little boy. All the girls are topless and happy as can be in Sean's swim shorts. Oh yeah, and if Velvet looks guilty it's because she just finished off every last strawberry in my garden. Bad dog.
With still a half a day to kill, we walked to the school and waited for the blessed return of Michelle and David. I think Angels were singing when they walked in the door.
Well, besides the mountain of gifts Michelle brought, and the satisfaction that I actually survived the last month, my biggest reward was going to a movie with the sisters, mom and Grandma Primmer. Not just any movie either, ECLIPSE!! It was seriously the best 2 hours I've had in a long time. Loved the book and the movie did it justice. Even my Grandma said she dreamed about all the good looking vampires that night he he he!

And this is why I never let Randy watch the kids. While we were at the movie, they were up the canyon. Here's Sean apparently yards ahead of Randy. No worries, just a big lake without proper fencing up ahead.
4th of JULY!!! My favorite holiday!
(Kids dressed to the nines for the parade.)
Here we are scoring the perfect spot in the shade.
The Millcreek parade is better than Halloween for getting candy. Fun, fun, fun!
OK, this is just plain funny. What is he looking at with those hands on his hips?
We ended the festivities with a nice BBQ in the back yard. Everyone had a good time.
People thought we were letting off fireworks in celebration of the 4th. Really is was in celebration of everyone getting out of our house. :) Next time y'all come when you can't stay so long!
Random...
Where did Kate go?
So now it is finally my turn to start doing what I want to do for the summer. I had an entire week of bliss and then... barf... Sean has the stomach flu. 48 hours later... barf...barf...barf... Randy, Kate, and I all have the stomach flu. 1 week later, piles of shiz, barf, laundry, carpet cleaners, scrub brushes, cases of toilet paper... barf...barf...barf... Sean still is throwing up. Had to cancel swimming lessons and the one BBQ with out of town friends I really wanted to see. Seriously, what the crap? I give up. Where's the snow? This summer sucks. I'm done.





4 Comments:
Great post Melissa! You guys have been busy! Rachael and kids are in NM and will be coming to UT in August. We miss you guys!
Well, glad to find that there wasn't anything I didn't already know. I was a little bit scared to read it. Sorry your summer has sucked so bad. I AM grateful for all your help and hospitality. Thanks for sending your roll of cute pics from the days we were gone!
I'll stop complaining now! If it means anything, you get mom and super aunt of the year. Hope you are all feeling better.
Oh my heck Melissa! I was getting exhausted just reading your post...Good job, you do deserve an award:)Cute pics!!
Post a Comment
<< Home